A hands-on experienced technology leader, specialising in big data and large-scale reactive application design, development and operation.
I take ownership in, not only shaping the principles upon how we will operate an IT Department, but also the nature of the underlying technology. I am pro-risk, and favour revolution where necessary in order to keep the organisation at the top of the competition in it’s exploitation of technology and data.
With this, my technology leaderships skills include:
- Commercialisation of technology, ensuring IT is seen as the major part of end-to-end value chains - technology becomes revenue generating;
- Organising IT teams to align with the end-to-end value chain of the business;
- Intelligent management of capabilities to balance build, reuse and buy strategies.
Technology management skills include:
- Focusing teams to think about “real” engineering, not just writing code;
- Agile engineering processes following DevOps principles of holistic thinking and automation;
- Building self-managing, self-motivating teams.
Although I have transitioned to a leadership and management role over the years, I still maintain highly technical skills including:
- Reactive solution architectures, responsive, resilient, elastic and message driven;
- Scala/Java web-based application development (Play, Spray.IO, JEE, JSF);
- Cloud technologies (AWS EC2, S3, Elastic Beanstalk, RDS, VPC);
- RDBMS and NoSQL databases (Riak, Neo4j, HBase, Hive, MySQL, Oracle);
- Hadoop ecosystem (Hive, HDFS, YARN, Kafka, Solr) and Spark.
In my career, I have over a decade of consultancy, government and commercial experience. I am also well known for my honesty, integrity and ability to translate complex technical information to executive and C level stakeholders.
For a more detailed career history see my LinkedIn profile.
Also, take a look at my open source projects on GitHub